The Pritchard Bridge, Llandaff, Cardiff
The Pritchard Bridge is located in the ancient "City of Llandaff" much of which is now a conservation area.
Despite being surrounded on all sides by the bustling modern city of Cardiff, the Llandaff conservation area remains comparatively un-spoilt and surprisingly tranquil. The most famous landmark in the “city” is The Cathedral Church of SS Peter & Paul, Dyfrig, Teilo and Euddogwy, which is the mother church of the Diocese of Llandaff and stands on one of the oldest Christian sites in Britain.
The present cathedral dates from 1107 when Bishop Urban, the first Bishop appointed by the Normans, instigated the building of a much larger church. The arch behind the High Altar was built at that time. The Cathedral was extended and widened and a new West front built about 1220. This West front is judged by many to be one of the two or three most notable mediaeval works of art in Wales.
For 200 years following the reign of King Henry VIII the building fell into a state of near-ruin. However, in the early nineteenth century, new life and growing prosperity in the Diocese made possible a fresh restoration undertaken by J F Seddon and John Pritchard. Much of the present structure including the South West tower and spire, completed in 1869, is down to these inspired architects.
The Prichard Bridge (taking its name from John Pritchard), leads from the Cathedral to the cemetery. It was built to span the feeder from the Taff to Llandaff Corn Mill. It is a beautiful structure, which is the full width of a carriage. It was completely overgrown and un-useable, but has undergone its full restoration by Quadriga.
In order to begin the restoration Quadriga used a team of qualified tree surgeons to remove all of the trees from the surrounding areas of the bridge. All of the soil was then excavated to the levels stipulated by Cardiff Council on their original tender document.
Once the site was fully accessible Quadriga set about cleaning the bridge with a Thermatech super water heated power washer. As the dirt and grime was removed it made the extent of the repairs more visible. Any remaining loose debris was raked out and re-pointed with a lime and sand mortar.
A layer of Glyshosate solution was applied to the repointed stone, this was to prevent algae and lichen re-growth. When this had cured, stone indents and in-situ stone repairs were carried out. Finally new gates and railings were installed to both sides of the bridge set into concrete pad foundations. A 50mm thick type 1 MOT base was laid and well compacted onto the bridge.
Why use Quadriga?
- A team of multi-skilled specialists
- Experienced historic building restorers
- Dedicated to innovation
- Understand traditional and contemporary materials and techniques
- Quadriga believe in conservation