The Church of St George the Martyr is a Grade II* listed building built in 1725-26. It is constructed in sandstone ashlar and was originally Georgian in style although additions and alterations throughout the years have led it to take on a more Romanesque look.
Quadriga were employed to carry out stonework repairs to the church which included indents along with insitu restoration. As with any historic building, matching back to the original bed of stone can be a challenge as we have significantly less quarries than we used to.. Quadriga have built up an extensive library of stone over the years enabling us to match very closely to the original and gain approval from conservation officers.
- Cutting out cracked and spalled areas of stone
- Repair using Lithomix restoration mortar
- Stone indent repairs
The church remained in use throughout the works, which were programmed to ensure disruption was kept to a minimum. This included carrying out works outside of church event times, liaising with the church to allow safe and regular access.