74 King Street is a fully occupied Grade II listed building in central Manchester. King Street is one of the main thoroughfares of Manchester city centre and is now considered to be the city’s upmarket shopping area. All businesses remained open throughout the project due to the busy shopping area location in the city centre.
Scaffolding was built out of hours to cause minimal disruption due to the installation of the Metrolink line next to the site. A timber survey was carried out at the site along with repairs and re-painting of windows and columns using paint approved by the conservation officer to match the original.
Repairs to the roof included repointing of tiles and replacement sections of lead flashing. Existing lead gutters were also removed and replaced.
Works also included
• Superheated steam clean of stone façade
• In-situ stone repairs and re-pointing of stone and brickwork
• Re-fit of lead cover strip to the rooflight
• Rainwater goods repairs, replacement and re-decoration
• Basement tanking and re-decoration using SIKA 1