Murrays’ Mill, Ancoats
Client: Graham Construction
Contract: Masonry Repairs | Status: Principal Contractor | Value: £116,000 | Duration: 16 Weeks
Quadriga were instructed to carry out repairs on the chimney at Murrays’ Mill in 2016.
Murrays’ Mill is a former cotton mill located in Ancoats, Manchester. The first mill at the site was constructed in 1797 and is the worlds oldest urban surviving steam-powered cotton spinning factory. By 1806 the mill complex was the largest in the world.
Quadriga undertook work to restore the chimney back to its former glory. Specially made corner bricks were sourced for the works and a lead in time of 6 weeks was achieved. All works, which included works at full height internally and externally, were completed within the 16 week programme.
- Reinstating chimney capping
- Installing a passenger goods hoist
- Steel collar installation
- Re-pointing brickwork
- Extensive brickwork replacement, including replacement of special made corner bricks
- Helifix crack stitching works
- In-situ brick repairs
Why use Quadriga
- A team of multi-skilled specialists
- Experienced historic building restorers
- Dedicated to innovation
- Quadriga believe in conservation
- Understand traditional and contemporary materials and techniques